Saturday 28 April 2007

The Local Bar





I visited the local bar last night
The lady I sat next to wanted to talk
I felt sorry for her, so I thought why not
She told me all about her life

She told me about her daughter moving away
She told me about her husband living in LA
She told me she lives here in Boston
She sounded lonely, cut off and apart

The daughter had moved away to marry
She would be moving soon, to be closer
To her daughter, the one that moved away
The one that she loves, and misses so much

Her masterpiece, the jewel in her crown
After we had talked a while I tried to eat dinner
The bar was very busy, a big convention was in town
Three bartenders, two girls and a guy

Were overloaded with requests
For food and drinks and service with a smile
“I need some more water”
“I’ll take a beer”

“I’d like a glass of wine”
“Can I see a menu”
“Where is my food”
“Please pass the ketchup”

They moved with grace and good speed
With fluid motions learned over time
It was like watching Swan Lake, or even Giselle
They moved with such motions, it seemed like a dance

They didn’t have to think which way to go
Their bodies knew where everything was
The glasses up above
The wine bottles below

They knew how to uncork
While telling a joke and giving a nod
“I’ll be with you in one minute”
A quick “Hello” or “Goodnight”

The conventioneers continued to pile in
All the aisles were packed
No one could move
They all wanted service, no one could wait

"We are famished and thirsty"
"What’s taking so long"
"Please hurry up"
"I’ll take my check"

"Where is my food"
"Where is the menu"
"Where can I take a leak"
The convention piled in

Swan Lake continued without taking a pause
At the end of the night, they were exhausted
From seeing hundreds of different faces
It all became a blur

Of being a friend and companion
To all in their sight
A smile where needed
A laugh when required

Trying their best to do the right thing
I hope they are actors in training
They put on a great show
On this different stage

They deserved an ovation
But I don’t think it came
Drinks make people hazy
They do not see Swan Lake, or even Giselle

They only see their glass empty
And they want desert
So I send this bravo
For watching the show.

No comments: